A "tombstone" Bakelite radio G274-A from 1936 restored to working order
Made in the USA by Pilot Radio Corporation. Short and medium wave, 220 volts. This is possibly by Jan Streng, and is halfway between Streamlining and Art Deco. In 1925 the original Pilot Radio Company was formed by Isidor Goldberg who sold radio supply kits and parts. In 1927 he introduced the WASP short wave radio, three years later they were producing the factory wired “Midget.” The Depression hit the company hard and they went into bankruptcy in 1933. In 1934 he reopened the Pilot Radio Company at 37-06 36th Street, in Long Island City. Goldberg also opened a branch in London, England in 1936.